Minced Pork with Petai (Stinky Beans) & Large Beansprouts | BIG Bites MY


Minced Pork with Petai & Large Beansprouts

Petai (direct translation from our local Chinese name for it is Stinky Beans) is a South East Asia favorite. It's call Stinky Beans because of its strong, pungent smell.

If you are not a fan of petai, you may leave it out. Or if you live somewhere where petai is not available fresh, I have see Malaysian living overseas posting pictures of canned petai in brine (from Yeo's), available at their local Asian grocers.

I discovered this dish a few years ago when I went to pack dinner for myself at a nearby Tai Chau / Tze Char eatery. Uncle Chef told me they had petai that night. Ooo ... I love petai! My favorite!

He asked me how I wanted it cooked and then as I was trying to decide, he suggested "Cook with minced pork". Since I have never had it that way before, I said, "OK! Always a first time." Loved it!

I experimented with the recipe a few times before I decided I like it this way the most. I don't recall any beansprouts in Tai Chau Uncle's version. I have no idea why I added it, I did and I like that taste.

This takes more time for prepping because the ingredients needs to be chopped up. Most of the time, I'll just use the electric chopper when I'm lazy - just pulse it a few times.

I will say with manual chopping, preparation time takes about 30 minutes. Once prepping is done, it's just a quick stir-fry. This is really SO EASY LAH! The recipe shown here feeds 2-3, just double up accordingly if you are cooking for more.

I love to mix this into my rice and have it in every bite! Too satisfying!

Watch video for step-by-step method of preparation


Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serving: 2 - 3 (increase portions accordingly if you are cooking for more)

Ingredients:

  • 60g petai
  • 200g large beansprouts
  • 315ml (21 tablespoons) water - varies according to how much gravy you want
  • 250g minced pork
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon corn flour
  • 1 Thai chili

Method:

  1. Large beansprouts:
    • Remove the "tail" ends (optional)
    • Rough chop the beansprouts
    • Stir-fry the chopped beansprouts in a dry pan (no oil) over MEDIUM LOW heat. The water content in the beansprouts will evaporate. This will also enhance the flavor of the beansprouts. Ready when the beansprouts is darker and smells fragrant.
  2. Petai (stinky beans):
    • Split petai into halves, check the insides and discard the imperfect ones
    • Rough chop petai
  3. Heat oil over MEDIUM LOW heat and saute garlic until lightly browned and fragrant
  4. Add minced pork and stir-fry until it is no longer pink
  5. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce and mix well
  6. Add 1 tablespoon of water to corn flour to make a cornstarch slurry. Add a little cornstarch slurry to minced pork for a smooth "velvety" texture. Reserve the remainder for later to thicken gravy.
  7. Add 5 tablespoons of water and continue simmering
  8. Add petai (stinky beans) and continue simmering
  9. Add beansprouts. Stir to combine all ingredients well.
  10. Add 7 tablespoons of water and let it simmer for a few more minutes
  11. Taste and flavor to your liking
  12. Add another 3 tablespoons of water and simmer for a while more
  13. Add Thai chili
  14. Add the remaining cornstarch slurry bit by bit and thicken gravy to your liking
  15. Ready to be served. Satisfying with a bowl of rice and awesome if there is a fluffy omelette to go with it.

Notes:

  • I have added water in 4 batches when cooking this dish. If you add all the water in one go, you'll find it harder to control because you will end up with one soupy dish in the wok. So best let it simmer and as the gravy gradually dries up during simmering, add more water.
  • This goes really well with a Thai-style fluffy omelette



Comments